Re: AMD Geode CS5536 problem

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Alex Sinchenko wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to deal with OHCI issues on AMD Geode CS5536. I use
> PCEngines Alix alix2d3 mainboard, that have one 1.1 and one 2.0 port.

Are you sure that each port isn't connected to both USB host
controllers?  That's how mainboards are usually designed.

> On each of ports we connect USB hub tusb2046, with two CM108 USB
> audiocards and two CP2102 usb-serial converters on each, all
> externally-powered.

That's the way they are connected now?

> We used to have four sound cards on one USB host and four converters
> on other, and all worked fine.

Do you mean that you used to have all four sound cards plugged into one
of the hubs and all four serial converters plugged into the other hub?
How do you know that the two hubs used different host controllers?

>  But on 12 we was not be able to use all

What do you mean by "on 12"?

>  4 sound cards in parallel, getting "no bandwidth" error.
> After we rearranged devices, problems with device detection arised. I

Did you go back to the old arrangement to see whether the detection
problems went away?

What are the exact differences between the working and non-working
arrangements?

> tried different versions of the kernel (specifically, Voyade Linux
> kernels 2.6.26 and 2.6.30 optimized for Alix boards, and vanilla
> 2.6.35.1).
> I tried all possible combinations with ehci-hcd and ohci-hcd loading
> order, tried to not load ehci-hcd to see if usb 1.1 port will work
> correctly.. No success.

It would be best to run the tests with ehci-hcd not loaded.

> I turned on USB Debug, see dmesg output in attach.

Try again, without ehci-hcd and with only one hub plugged in, no other
USB devices.  Let's see what happens then.

> Interestinly, if switch off and on power on devices and hubs when
> Linux is loaded, devices are detected correctly.

Please be more precise.  Do you switch the devices and hubs off
_before_ booting, _during_ booting, or _after_ booting?  And at what
time do you switch them back on?

>  Just removing and

What happens if you boot with all the devices and hubs unplugged, and
then plug them in one at a time after the system is running?

Alan Stern