Re: Intermittent loss of ftdi-sio link

Hi Alan,

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:42:52 -0500 (EST) you wrote:
> > Interesting... last night (no reboot since the previous problem, so not using EHCI?) the link remained up for nine hours without a glitch. So you may be right. I'll draft in another PC (a more representative Intel Atom Mini-ITX) and see if that can keep talking at full speed.
>
> Maybe after being up for so long, the EHCI hardware just glitched and
> caused the disconnect.  Has this happened repeatedly?

This evening, running the same test but at high speed, the EHCI
glitched after about 1 hour 20, or 1 hour 25 total uptime. Given that
around the time I first observed the problem I was also meddling with
kernel patches, and hence rebooting often, and when the problem
reappeared I'd just had a power outage, it does look likely that it's
an EHCI thing that doesn't recur once the machine has fallen back to
USB1.1 operation.

I'll install the tweaked kernel onto another machine and try that. If I
can get confidence that it's zechariah's EHCI chip rather than a
general high speed problem then I'm not too worried. After all,
zechariah is an old PC I got for free. As long as the PicoSphere and
the Linux install are free of blame then this isn't a problem for us.

Cheers,
Rob