Re: Intermittent loss of ftdi-sio link

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Robert Pearce wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Robert Pearce wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:45:23 -0500 (EST) you wrote:
> > > Now, I should probably say that the "Oxford Vacuum Science"
> > > "PicoSphere" (the device with the FT4232) is plugged into a front panel
> > > USB socket on a card reader,
> >
> > This isn't clear.  Do you mean that you've got a USB port built into a
> > card reader's front panel and the PicoSphere is plugged into that port?
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
>
> > In that case, how is the card reader connected to the computer?
> >
> It's on one of the internal USB headers - the 2x5 pin header things for front panel sockets. The card reader is a 3.5" drive bay device.

So probably there are _two_ connections from the motherboard: one going
to the card reader device itself and the other going to the USB port on
the card reader's panel.

> > >  which I suspect means there's a hub in
> > > there. And the big blob of usb-storage stuff makes me wonder whether
> > > it's actually the card reader that's flaky.
> >
> > No, there's no hub.  The log shows that the high-speed USB host
> > controller connected to both the PicoSphere and the storage device (the
> > card reader?) stopped working.
>
> The USB storage device is the card reader; it declares itself as "IN-WIN" and there's no other USB storage present.
>

> > This is not a failure of a peripheral USB device; it's a failure of a
> > controller in the computer.  An "lspci" listing might be useful,
> > together with an "lsusb -v" listing.
>
> zechariah ~ # lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400/KT600 AGP] Host Bridge
> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 PCI Bridge
> 00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
> 00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
> 00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
> 00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)

Okay; the relevant USB controllers are 00:10.3 (EHCI) and 00:10.

> zechariah ~ # lsusb -v
>
> Bus 004 Device 004: ID 0403:8cb0 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               2.00
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
>   idProduct          0x8cb0
>   bcdDevice            8.00
>   iManufacturer           1 Oxford Vacuum Science
>   iProduct                2 PicoSphere
>   iSerial                 3 PS09A001
>   bNumConfigurations      1

> Bus 004 Device 003: ID 10df:0500 In-Win Development, Inc. iAPP CR-e500 Card reader
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.10

This is odd.  The card reader claims to be compliant with the USB-1.1
spec, which did not include high-speed support, and yet your log showed
that it was running at high speed.

>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x10df In-Win Development, Inc.
>   idProduct          0x0500 iAPP CR-e500 Card reader
>   bcdDevice            0.96
>   iManufacturer           1 IN-WIN
>   iProduct                2 iAPP CR-e500
>   iSerial                 3 0000000001B9
>   bNumConfigurations      1

> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.10
>   bDeviceClass            9 Hub
>   bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
>   bDeviceProtocol         0 Full speed (or root) hub
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x1d6b Linux Foundation
>   idProduct          0x0001 1.1 root hub
>   bcdDevice            2.06
>   iManufacturer           3 Linux 2.6.35.3ovs uhci_hcd
>   iProduct                2 UHCI Host Controller
>   iSerial                 1 0000:00:10.2
>   bNumConfigurations      1

This shows that when you run lsusb, the devices were connected to the
00:10.2 UHCI controller on bus 4 and therefore were not running at high
speed.  Do they return to high speed after a cold boot?

> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               2.00
>   bDeviceClass            9 Hub
>   bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
>   bDeviceProtocol         0 Full speed (or root) hub
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x1d6b Linux Foundation
>   idProduct          0x0002 2.0 root hub
>   bcdDevice            2.06
>   iManufacturer           3 Linux 2.6.35.3ovs ehci_hcd
>   iProduct                2 EHCI Host Controller
>   iSerial                 1 0000:00:10.3
>   bNumConfigurations      1

And this shows that the 00:10.3 EHCI controller gets enumerated as bus
1.

> (It looks like I was mistaken on the kernel version, it's 2.6.35.3 so a fraction older than I thought)

The exact version shouldn't matter much.

> The machine in question is one I inherited from my brother, so it's quite old. And he bought it from Time Computers, who don't have a good reputation.

It's possible that the EHCI controller on this machine simply isn't
working properly any more.

Alan Stern