Re: Using USB Generic Serial Converter with devices from different vendors

Hi,

Piotr Isajew:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:01:44AM +0100, Johan Hovold wrote:
> >
> > Finally, we also have the option usb-serial driver which integrates
> > better with the tty layer than hso. Perhaps this one could be used in
> > use-cases such as your own where the network interface isn't used at
> > all?
>
> Anything more about this? When I was looking for hso alternatives I
> didn't found anything other than generic serial converter in
> kernel. Could you point me to the relevant kernel options?

You could try usbserial, with vendor=/product= parameters to
force it to bind to the card.

The Option driver doesn't have the usual vendor=/product= modparams
to allow it to bind to "foreign" devies. (That's a good thing,
normally, as it forces people to submit patches -- instead of
simply posting the required modparams to the Ubuntu Forum and
otherwise forgetting about it.)

I haven't investigated the differences in hso's vs. option's
terminal layers.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs