Re: Using USB Generic Serial Converter with devices from different vendors

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 12:03:49PM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Piotr Isajew:
> > On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:01:44AM +0100, Johan Hovold wrote:
> > >
> > > Finally, we also have the option usb-serial driver which integrates
> > > better with the tty layer than hso. Perhaps this one could be used in
> > > use-cases such as your own where the network interface isn't used at
> > > all?
> >
> > Anything more about this? When I was looking for hso alternatives I
> > didn't found anything other than generic serial converter in
> > kernel. Could you point me to the relevant kernel options?
>
> You could try usbserial, with vendor=/product= parameters to
> force it to bind to the card.

But this was exactly what we were trying to avoid. I was thinking more
along the lines of having both the hso and option drivers support the
devices in question and providing a mechanism for choosing which driver
to bind. But most likely, hso should rather be fixed.

In particular, you would currently need to add the pids of your devices
to the option driver and load this one instead of hso if you want to
try it out Piotr.

Thanks,
Johan