Re: SAM-BA patch test on 2.6.35-22-generic failed.

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 07:29:31PM +0000, Neil Bryan wrote:
> When I built the modules, I did the following:
>
> sudo make modules_install M=drivers/usb/serial
>
> This has created a new directory here:
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.35.4/extra/

extra?  Huh?  Are you using a kernel.org kernel or a distro kernel?

> with the modules (sam-ba.ko and usbserial.ko).
>
> If I try modprobe like so:
>
> t7@nbryan:/lib/modules/2.6.35.4/extra$ sudo modprobe sam-ba
> [sudo] password for t7:
> FATAL: Module sam_ba not found.
>
> Note that the underscore has replaced the hyphen. Does it need an alias?

No, you need to run 'depmod' to ensure that the modules are found
properly.

> Why can modprobe not see the new module? I strongly believe that the
> way I built and installed the driver is incorrect. I don't hack
> drivers on a daily basis ;-)
>
> But, and it is a big but, my original post shows that the sam-ba
> module is present, has connected to ttyUSB0, but fails to transmit
> to the SAM-BA boot loader on my Atmel board. As I mentioned, it worked
> the first time, but subsequent tries have all failed so it is very
> close to working and I believe you guys are careful so the problem
> is most likely at my end.

Try using a kernel version that has the driver in it already, that would
be easiest.

thanks,

greg k-h