Re: Hercules Deejay Trim, "not enough bandwidth"

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The lsusb output for your sound card shows that it doesn't distinguish
> between 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz when listing its bandwidth requirements; it
> asks for the same amount of bandwidth in either case. ÂIn particular,
> it requires 192 bytes/frame for 16-bit transfers and 296 bytes/frame
> for 24-bit transfers (a frame is 1 ms). ÂDon't ask me why the second
> number is 8 bytes larger than it should be -- I don't know.
>
> The information in section 5.11.3 of the USB-2.0 specification shows
> how to compute the amount of USB bus time based on the size of a
> transfer. ÂFor 192 bytes isochronous OUT this comes to a little over
> 153 us, and for 296 bytes iso OUT it comes to a little over 237 us.
> IN transfers require about 1 us more. ÂYou can get reasonably close to
> these numbers just by realizing that full-speed USB runs at 12 Mb/s or
> 2/3 us per byte and that bit-stuffing requires all the times to be
> increased by a factor of 7/6 -- and keep in mind that the protocol has
> some overhead.

Hi Alan,

There is something wrong with your calculations. Every ms FS sends
about 12000 bits = 1500 bytes. 90% of this is 1350 bytes. I know this
is approximate, but I have seen fs cameras using the maximum iso xfer
size of 1023, so at least that is possible.

To transfer 6 channels of 3 bytes per sample and 48Khz requires 6 * 3
* 48 bytes = 864 iso bytes per frame.

My conclusion is this kind of transfer is legal per the USB spec.
There may be iso bandwidth bugs in Linux, though - especially through
HS hubs, I suggest a test directly connected to his UHCI or OHCI root
hub.

Regards, Steve