Re: Hercules Deejay Trim, "not enough bandwidth"

Hello,

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010, Sam Gentle wrote:

> When I attempt to record from it, I get "ALSA start: broken pipe" and
> this error in my dmesg: "cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -28:
> not enough bandwidth"

I have a similar problem with a 4-in/2-out USB soundcard called Lexicon
Omega. Using Ubuntu Maverick, I wrote to the Ubuntu Forums
( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603137 ) and they told me
to ask alsa-devel list, which wrote that this problem is USB related.

When using the device as 2-in/2-out it works fine, but when trying
to get 4-in, bandwidth message appears and audio I/O stops.

When using the device in simplex mode, it works as expected, but it is
necessary for me, to have duplex with 4/2. I am using kernel 2.6.35
and alsa 1.0.23 (both Ubuntu shipped). The kernel is configured with
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED=y

The soundcard is connected directly to the notebook, however, there
are internal USB devices: a webcam and a fingerprint sensor.

output of lsusb without soundcard:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b130 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 08ff:168b AuthenTec, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Alan Stern suggested the following:

> For now, your best bet may be to force the built-in hub to connect at
> full speed instead of high speed.  You can do this by writing the hub's
> port number to the "companion" file in the EHCI controller's sysfs
> directory.  For example, in your "connect" log the hub was attached to
> port 6 on bus 1, so you could do:
>
>        echo 6 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/../companion

I tried that, but with "1" and "2", as the hub is device 1 and 2 on Bus 2,
but it did not work (hub just stopped working). The output of lsusb -v
is attached (before fiddling with companion). Is there anything else
I can post here or try on my system? Any hint is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much

Daniel StÃckner