Re: usb-skeleton.c - generates warning

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Greg KH wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 06:43:10AM +1100, Andrew Worsley wrote:
> > I am writing a USB driver  modeled on the drivers/usb/usb-skeleton.c
> > version 2.6.30 but it gets the following warning.
> > I wonder if it is a generic issue, perhaps the skeleton is not
> > maintained any more? Alternatively perhaps I haven't implemented
> > things properly.
>
> Probably because no one tests the driver.
>
> Can you verify that the latest version (2.6.36, which is 2 years newer
> than the version you are using) still has this problem?  If so, care to
> post your driver code you are using so we can see what the issue is?

The problem is that usb-skeleton calls usb_free_coherent() in its
skel_write_bulk_callback() routine.  That indirectly calls
dma_pool_free(), which for some strange reason doesn't like to run
in_interrupt.

usb-skeleton probably should not use a coherent buffer.  There's no
good reason for it.

Alan Stern