Re: hid_ntrig prevents suspend from working

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Florian Echtler wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've just installed Ubuntu 10.10 (64bit) with a 2.6.35 kernel on my
> Lenovo T410s. This laptop has a N-Trig DuoSense digitizer which works
> fine with hid_ntrig, however, as soon as this driver is loaded or was
> loaded previously, suspend stops working.
>
> When the driver is loaded, the laptop immediately wakes up again after
> the suspend attempt. When the driver has been unloaded, the laptop
> suspends properly, but hangs on wakeup.
>
> dmesg shows:
>
> usbhid 2-1.8:1.1: suspend error -5
> pm_op(): usb_dev_suspend+0x0/0x20 returns -5
> PM: Device 2-1.8 failed to suspend async: error -5
> PM: Some devices failed to suspend
>
> The bug has already been reported to kernel bugzilla [1], however, there
> hasn't been any recent activity. I'd like to help pin this bug down, it's
> the only annoyance in an otherwise flawlessly working machine. Therefore,
> I'd be glad for some starting points as to how to debug this.

It would be good to start by finding out where the -EIO error comes
from.  One likely candidate is where
drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c:hid_suspend() calls usbhid_wait_io().  Is
that the source of the error?  Does the wait_event_timeout() call
actually time out?  Since the posted dmesg log was made without
CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME, we can't see if there really was a 10-second delay.

Or does the error come from the hid->driver->suspend() call instead?

Alan Stern