Re: What is the diff between a 4 port hub and a 7 port hub.

On Wednesday, October 06, 2010 02:55:53 pm Alan Stern did opine:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, gene heskett wrote:
> > I just spent an hour drilling more holes in the wall/floor here, so I
> > could get those two long extension cables to a direct from the mobo
> > port.  The ports I used are on a breakout back panel slot, and add
> > about 15" to the cable length, plus of course the big lump from the
> > connector junctions at the slot filler.  Neither one works, error
> > -71.  So, move those two to a powered hub which adds about 4 feet of
> > cable from the hub to the port, and both are now working. So if the
> > mobo ports have as much signal driver power as the 4 port hub, then
> > its the extra 15" of cable from the mobo to the slot filler and the
> > (low) impedance lumps at the slot filler sockets that are killing it.
> >  Damn if I do, and damned if I don't.
>
> Maybe...  Hardware faults can be very difficult to pin down.  For
> example: I've got a USB-IDE disk drive that doesn't work when attached
> to my home computer.  When plugged in to my office computer (using the
> same cable), it works fine.  When I attach a USB flash drive to that
> cable in place of the disk drive, it works on the home computer.  And
> when I replace that cable with a different one, the disk drive works on
> the home computer.  Since replacing any of the three components fixes
> the problem, how can you say which is at fault?
>
> > I guess the upshot of this is that as an rf broadcast engineer, I have
> > learned that the VSWR present on USB cables is in no way, properly
> > terminated.  It it was, then it should be somewhat like the scsi buss,
> > whose original specs 35-40 years ago claimed to have a max cable
> > length limit of 39 meters, if it was properly terminated on both ends
> > to absorb the echos from 5ns signal edges.
>
> There _are_ standards specifying what the USB physical and electrical
> characteristics are supposed to be.  If you've got the right equipment,
> you can check the USB terminations.
>
> > But between the engineers and the production floor was a bean counter
> > who bought the cheapest +-20% parts he could buy, so we have had 35+
> > years of scsi having a reputation that not even sacrificing virgins
> > would make it work reliably.  Maybe it still has that rep, I haven't
> > used it for a tape drive in yonks, vtapes on a hard drive are easily
> > 50x more dependable and 100x faster to recover from.
> >
> > I have fixed a lot of scsi systems right, and without using up any
> > hard to find virgins, made them truly bulletproof.  Bean counters
> > will be the death of anything they touch, could we start a bounty
> > system on them? ;-)
>
> There's no question that a _lot_ of USB devices are designed to be as
> low-cost as possible, which means cutting a bunch of corners and giving
> up compliance to the spec.  For many companies, if the device works
> okay when plugged in to a Windows machine using a standard cable,
> that's all they care about.
>
> Alan Stern

I'm still snooping, but haven't resorted to my 100mhz dual trace scope yet.
I just set that up as a powered 4 port connected to the mobo, with both
extension cable/hubs and an FDTI usb-ser adapter plugged into this same 4
port hub giving me /dev/ttyUSB0 for heyu to use.  Everything seems happy,
and it frees up a 7 port I'll take downstairs and see if it will work in
place of the 4 port CyberPower I moved up here and connected as above.

Yes, I just took the 7 port Alps down and hooked it up, and now everything
is again running on one extension cable.  Traffic on that particular circuit
isn't normally going both ways, what I am doing is shipping the printer
port of an old CoCo3 up here, through cups and back to a laser printer down
there so I effectively have a 22 ppm laser printer on a 30 year old computer
that about 300 of us refuse to let die.

So this branch now has a 4 port powered hub plugged into a motherboard
connector, 3 loads plugged into it (one is the scanner) and two of those
are the extension cables I paid $40 & change each for.  A 7 port Alps is
plugged into one of the extensions for a local hub in the basement, and the
two devices there then plugged into the 7 port, and again, both are
working.  Interchange the 4 port and the 7 port, and its DOA.

I think I need a beer. ;-)

Thanks Alan.  Till next time, Cheers.

--
Cheers, Gene