Re: What is the diff between a 4 port hub and a 7 port hub.

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, gene heskett wrote:

> I just spent an hour drilling more holes in the wall/floor here, so I could
> get those two long extension cables to a direct from the mobo port.  The
> ports I used are on a breakout back panel slot, and add about 15" to the
> cable length, plus of course the big lump from the connector junctions at
> the slot filler.  Neither one works, error -71.  So, move those two to a
> powered hub which adds about 4 feet of cable from the hub to the port, and
> both are now working. So if the mobo ports have as much signal driver power
> as the 4 port hub, then its the extra 15" of cable from the mobo to the
> slot filler and the (low) impedance lumps at the slot filler sockets that are
> killing it.  Damn if I do, and damned if I don't.

Maybe...  Hardware faults can be very difficult to pin down.  For
example: I've got a USB-IDE disk drive that doesn't work when attached
to my home computer.  When plugged in to my office computer (using the
same cable), it works fine.  When I attach a USB flash drive to that
cable in place of the disk drive, it works on the home computer.  And
when I replace that cable with a different one, the disk drive works on
the home computer.  Since replacing any of the three components fixes
the problem, how can you say which is at fault?

> I guess the upshot of this is that as an rf broadcast engineer, I have
> learned that the VSWR present on USB cables is in no way, properly
> terminated.  It it was, then it should be somewhat like the scsi buss,
> whose original specs 35-40 years ago claimed to have a max cable length
> limit of 39 meters, if it was properly terminated on both ends to absorb
> the echos from 5ns signal edges.

There _are_ standards specifying what the USB physical and electrical
characteristics are supposed to be.  If you've got the right equipment,
you can check the USB terminations.

> But between the engineers and the production floor was a bean counter who
> bought the cheapest +-20% parts he could buy, so we have had 35+ years of
> scsi having a reputation that not even sacrificing virgins would make it
> work reliably.  Maybe it still has that rep, I haven't used it for a tape
> drive in yonks, vtapes on a hard drive are easily 50x more dependable and
> 100x faster to recover from.
>
> I have fixed a lot of scsi systems right, and without using up any hard to
> find virgins, made them truly bulletproof.  Bean counters will be the death
> of anything they touch, could we start a bounty system on them? ;-)

There's no question that a _lot_ of USB devices are designed to be as
low-cost as possible, which means cutting a bunch of corners and giving
up compliance to the spec.  For many companies, if the device works
okay when plugged in to a Windows machine using a standard cable,
that's all they care about.

Alan Stern