Re: Regarding bug 18422

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Søren Holm wrote:

> Onsdag 22 september 2010 22:50:33 skrev Alan Stern:
> > You should modify the pl2303.c file by adding a "#define DEBUG" line
> > before any of the "#include"s.  Then see what shows up in the dmesg
> > log.  Maybe also collect a usbmon trace at the same time.
>
> Ok, I tried compiling with debug defined above the includes. Nothing other than
> the usual ended up in the logs.

Did you check the dmesg log?  Did you make sure that the modified
driver module was loaded?

> I tried logging data using usbmon. I did two runs both containing the trafic
> when doing the following.
>
> 1. Plug in of the device
> 2. Execute "cat /dev/ttyUSB0" on the device
> 3. Stop the cat-process using CTRL-C
>
> I first created pl2303_not_working.log from a fresh booted system. This is the
> scenario when the open-call is blocking.
>
> Then I unplugged the device and issued these commands :
> # rmmod pl2303
> # rmmod usbserial
>
> Then I produced pl2303_working.log which is the scenario when the open-call is
> not blocking.
>
> I hope it help trackig down the bug.

The logs do show a difference.  It involves the baud rate; the
not_working log sets a baud rate of 115200 whereas the working log sets
a baud rate of 9600.  That's the problem with using "cat" on a serial
port -- you have no control over the port settings.  Instead you should
use a program designed for serial ports, like minicom.

I don't know why the higher baud rate caused the open call to block.
And I don't know what caused the difference in baud rates.  It could be
some other program completely, like a network manager trying to use the
serial port for a network link.

> Btw. Shouldn't the communication be done via. bugzilla ?

If you want.  You started this conversation by posting to linux-usb.
Instead you could have added linux-usb to the bug report's CC list and
held the conversation that way.

Alan Stern