Re: Problem compiling linux XHCI driver

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Thejus <meetthejus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Thanks Ramya.Its working fine now that it is loading into the kernel when i
>  do  modprobe.
>  But i have a doubt
>  Should i get any messages in kern.log file when i do  modprobe xhci_hcd??
>                                   Or
>  Should there be a XHCI host controller in my system to detect that and print
> out the kern.log messages??

Yes. There should be a xHC host controller present on the motherboard.
The EHCI and OHCI case is different as they are available on
motherboard itself. Even if there is an xHC host controller present,
it can not print the log messages in the kernel log if we do not
enable the debugging of the xHCI while building kernel images. If you
want to know the stpes for building the kernel images, please let me
know.

>  Because i am getting  kern.log messages for ehci_hcd and ohci_hcd when i boot
> and check which tells me that there is a usb2.0 support for the system and there
> is a ehci host controller present.Is my inference correct??

Yes. That is correct. In case of xHC host controller, you need to
insert any xHC PCIe card into the motherboard.

>  Basically i have been given the task of writing a class driver for usb3.0.I am
> just a beginner in this field and am trying to learn the stuff.Lots and lots to
> learn actually.Any help would be great !!

Sorry for the delay. Feel free to contact me at any time. I also
developed a class driver for USB 3.0

Thanks and Regards,
Ramya.