Re: USB: free coherent buffer into atomic context

Hi,

Am Freitag, 17. September 2010 16:59:25 schrieb Ming Lei:
> The warning only means dma_free_coherent is called with irq disabled.
> It is not very difficult to fix the warning in usb hcd, but I need to know
>  why the WARN_ON below is added into dma_free_coherent.
>
>            WARN_ON(irqs_disabled());
>
> Anyone know the reason?

Hmm... Coherent buffers are ment to be kept for the whole time a driver
operates on a device. If such a buffer is freed in an interrupt context (== a
momentary action), this is most likely a bug in the driver. At least it is a
misuse of the concept of coherent buffers.

best regards
Wolfgang
--
Wahre Worte sind nicht schön - Schöne Worte sind nicht wahr. (Laotse)