Re: [RFC] GADGET : allow to build multi udc

On 03/09/2010 15:06, Alan Stern wrote:

>> On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 05:49:25 +0200, David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> NAK let's just not go there.  We want gadget drivers
>>> to be hardware-neutral, not hardware-dependent.
>>
>> I was thinking more along the way of gadgets having a module parameter
>> like udc=<name>.  With composite it would be like 5 lines of code to
>> implement and user space would be able to specify that the gadget it is
>> now loading should go with this UDC.
>>
>> Just my thoughts.
>
> Why would the user want to tell the gadget driver which UDC to bind to?
> There can be only one UDC active at any time.

There might be a Wireless USB device controller and a wired one.  They
will need different gadget drivers. e.g., the WUSB UDC might have mass
storage only and the wired might have a composite gadget with mass
storage and a cable-based association gadget.

There's no WUSB UDC driver in the kernel yet though so this
functionality isn't needed for now.

David