Re: /sys/.../power/autosuspend format

Am Mittwoch, 1. September 2010, 18:16:34 schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>

> >  Which in means
> > that medium change events will be lost. I think for devices with this quirk
> > we can autosuspend only if there's no medium present. Furthermore
> > you'll probably need to introduce a new flag to signal this requirement
> > to usbcore.
>
> How?  usbcore knows nothing about media.  The best solution is for
> usb-storage to disallow autosuspend if the quirk is set.

That is the easiest fix. It is somewhat wasteful though.

> > > Suggestions for a sysfs interface?  Should the sd driver add its own
> > > "suspend_delay_no_medium" attribute?
> >
> > Hm. I see no connection to sd. In fact I see no connection to block
> > devices. Tapes have this issue, too.
>
> It could be added for all SCSI devices.  But wouldn't it be easier
> simply to use a fixed delay when there's no medium?  We could pick a
> value like 100 ms or make it a module parameter.
>
> There's a problem about communicating the delay value to the PM layer.
> The code I'm adding to the PM core assumes a device has only a single
> delay: the current suspend_delay value.  That current value will be the
> one to show up in the "suspend_delay_ms" sysfs attribute.  So for
> example, you wouldn't be able to set the medium-present delay value at
> a time when no media was loaded.

Not too bad. If you really want to elaborate on this you could you add
an attribute allowing the user to specify whether a driver should be
allowed to override the delay the user has set. But I think, simply
allow the drivers to override.

> Also, there are potentially problems with drives that take a while to
> warm up and claim they have no media in the mean time.

That argues for not using a fixed value. But I suspect that drives for
removable rotational media are a dieing species anyway. We could
simply block autosuspend for them.

	Regards
		Oliver