Re: option_instat_callback: error -71

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> On Sunday 29 August 2010 02:01:33 Artem Makhutov wrote:
> > > As for FreeBSD...  How can you be sure that these errors don't occur
> > > under that OS?  Maybe they are simply being ignored instead of reported
> > > by the driver and in the log.
> >
> > I am not absolutely sure here.
>
> Hi,
>
> The new USB stack in FreeBSD 8.x has several differences from the Linux one. I
> will list two:
>
> 1) Clear-stall is integrated as a state in the USB transfer statemachine. That
> means you only have to set a flag on the transfer to have the USB stack
> execute clear-stall before the transfer starts. This flag is usually set on
> any error except from cancelling an USB transfer. In Linux I've seen that once
> the modem gets a STALL PID there is no recovery at all.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  The modem protocols don't ever stall
the bulk or interrupt endpoints, as far as I know.  And STALLs on the
control endpoint don't require any recovery.

In the log posted by Artem, the problem was not STALLs but transaction
errors.

> 2) The EHCI was in the 8.x release programmed with CERR=0, with a few
> exceptions. That means it tries harder to transmit/receive data.

That might indeed make a significant difference.  Artem, you can
achieve the same effect in Linux by editing the source file
drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.c.  Change the line that says

#define EHCI_TUNE_CERR          3       /* 0-3 qtd retries; 0 == don't stop */

and replace the 3 with a 0.

Alan Stern