Re: /sys/.../power/autosuspend format

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Freitag, 27. August 2010, 17:36:53 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > Oliver:
> >
> > For SCSI devices, the autosuspend idle-delay time will have to vary
> > from under one second up to an hour or so.  The current USB
> > /sys/.../power/autosuspend format, which simply lists the timeout in
> > seconds, won't be adequate.
>
> I see.
>
> > I thought the format could be changed to [MM:]SS[.FFF] where MM is
> > minutes, SS is seconds, and FFF is milliseconds.  It would be backward
> > compatible with the existing format for input, although the output
> > appearance would be different.  The same format could be used for USB
> > as well (in fact, the attribute set and show routines could go in
> > the PM core, making them easy to share among subsystems).
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> It seems to me that the standard for /sys is to use miliseconds.

"45 minutes" expressed in milliseconds isn't very easy to comprehend;
it comes out as "2700000".  Compare this to "45:00.000".  I'm not sure
that's the best way to go.

> And that seems to be reasonable. We'd fare better with a second
> field and to truncate the output on the old field.

I don't understand.  You mean a second field in the same file?  What
would that field contain?  And what do you mean by "truncate the output
on the old field"?  An example or two would help.

Besides, doesn't this violate the "one file, one value" rule for sysfs?

Alan Stern