Re: option_instat_callback: error -71

Am Donnerstag, 26. August 2010, 10:26:54 schrieb Artem Makhutov:
> Hello List,
>
> I am the author of chan_datacard, a module for Asterisk to used Huawei
> UMTS modems to do voice calls.
>
> Me, and also a lot of users have troubles with using the Modems under Linux.
>
> This modems are using the option kernel module and the communication is
> done using the /dev/ttyUSBX interface.
>
> When connecting multiple modems to a pc and start communicatin with them
> the connection gets broken and the log file gets full of the following
> messages:
>
> uname -a:
> Linux box1 2.6.35-ARCH #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Aug 14 21:58:00 CEST 2010
> x86_64 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> [...]
> option: option_instat_callback: error -71
> option: option_instat_callback: error -71
> option: option_instat_callback: error -71
> [...]
>
> What does this error message mean?

-EPROTO (*, **)		a) bitstuff error
			b) no response packet received within the
			   prescribed bus turn-around time
			c) unknown USB error

> I can image that the modems are generating RF-interferences that may
> interference on the usb-cables and cause transfer problems.

Plausible.

> Unfortunatly it looks like FreeBSD users do not have this problem.
>
> (So eigter FreeBSD has better capabilities to recover usb transfer
> problems, or there is something wrong with the linux kernel. - I will
> verify this by installing FreeBSD on the same box...)

Please do so.

> What logs do you need in order to trace this problem?

Start by compiling your kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG.
We may then see which additional debug is required. Which HCD
are you using?

	Regards
		Oliver