Re: ftdi_sio serial adapter data toggle problem.

[quoted lines by Alan Stern on 2010/08/24 at 10:22 -0400]

>If I understand correctly, the problem is that the ftdi_sio devices now
>_do_ behave like real serial ports, and this confuses programs that
>expect them to behave differently (as they used to).

Yes, exactly.

By the way: I got tired of saying "I believe that ...", and I also suspect that
others aren't sure how a real serial port works, so I tested it. Here's the way
they work.

The termios flags of interest are CLOCAL and CRTSCTS. Both of them retain their
states from device close to device open.

The modem lines of interest are DTR and RTS. Changing CLOCAL and/or CRTSCTS has
absolutely no effect on their current states. What does matter, though, is that
both DTR and RTS are always raised when the device is opened, regardless of the
states of CLOCAL and CRTSCTS.

EMail: dave@xxxxxxxxx | Canada  K2A 1H7   | 2011 Oct 21 is the End of the World.