Re: Help with USB3 suspend/resume issue

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> I heard that Windows developers have encountered USB devices that don't
> remember their "brains" (configuration/alt settings) across a system
> suspend or hibernate.  Do we have any such work-arounds in Linux?  What
> happens if a device thinks it's using alt setting 0, and the USB core
> thinks alt setting 1 is used after a resume?

If the host controller or device needs to be reset during resume then
we expect the device to lose its settings, and the device is told to
get to its previous config and altsetting values.  This happens in
usb_reset_and_verify_device.  BTW, we generally do have to reset
everything following hibernation -- the assumption is that everything
got wiped out when the boot kernel was loaded.

However if the power session was not disrupted during the system sleep
then we expect the device to maintain its old settings unless the
USB_QUIRK_RESET_RESUME flag is set, as Oliver pointed out.  If a device
thinks its using a different altsetting from what the system thinks, it
probably won't work.

Alan Stern