Re: Question about USB shutdown procedure

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> When the system is being shutdown, what USB core functions get invoked?
> I know that usb_hcd_pci_shutdown() will get called for the host
> controllers, but does anything get invoked for the USB devices?

No, nothing.  usbcore doesn't implement a shutdown procedure.
Individual drivers can have their own procedures, if they want, but
there doesn't seem to be much point.

> I'm specifically wondering what we do for external hubs with devices
> attached to them when the system is rebooted.  Does hub_disconnect() get
> called?

No.  The assumption is that when the system restarts, the host
controllers will be reinitialized, which will quiesce all the attached
devices.  When the new kernel is running it will discover these devices
and reset them as a normal part of device initialization.

Alan Stern