FW: Concerns regarding file backed storage gadget

We are using the file backed storage gadget as the basis of a software mechanism for allowing inter-device communication between a Windows host and Linux client device.  Recently we have become concerned regarding the notice of possible stability issues with the host OS if the backing file changes without the host OS having made the change (see section "AN IMPORTANT WARNING"):
http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/file_storage.html

So far, we have not experienced any issues with having our Linux client device changing the contents of a file in the backing file.

Is there any additional documentation in regards to this warning on the page above?  Does it matter if just a single file in the backing file is being changed?  Could the warning be more in regards of changing the FAT table in the backing file while the host OS is accessing the storage?

Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob Murphy