Re: Problem with STM8S Discovery kit

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Vaclav Peroutka wrote:

> Alan, I am sorry to disturbing you again. I updated my system to kernel 2.6.35, I think that we went further but still there is something wrong which is silently ignored on MS Windows and not ignored at all on Linux.
>
> Please have a look into usbmon and dmesg logs...

Well, it's doing better than before.  But the device has some nasty
bugs.

It starts out okay.  The device tells the computer that it has 64000
sectors of data (that's a little under 32 MB since a sector holds 512
bytes).  The computer even reads the first few sectors successfully.

Then the computer tries to read 8 sectors starting at sector 63872.
This shouldn't cause any problem.  But the device chokes, returning an
error indication.  When the computer sends a REQUEST SENSE command to
find out what went wrong, the device just sends another error
indication.  (In other words, the device doesn't understand REQUEST
SENSE -- which is a mandatory command.)

The same thing happened when the READ(10) command was repeated several
times, and it happened for other reads near the end of the device's
storage.

It appears that this device is badly broken.  Probably the only
reason it works with Windows is because Windows doesn't try to read the
sectors near the end.  I bet it would fail the same way under Windows
if you tried to store a 30-MB file on the device and read it back.

Alan Stern