Re: ftdi_sio serial adapter data toggle problem.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Daniel Mack wrote:

> > I believe the DTR/RTS lines are both raised all the time on a regular serial
> > port when hardware flow control isn't enabled. My guess is that the ftdi_sio
> > driver probably sets them low when hardware flow control is disabled (or maybe
> > just leaves them alone). I think the fix, therefore, may be that the ftdi_sio
> > driver needs to force DTR/RTS both high when hardware flow control is disabled.
>
> I'm not convinced about this approach. The thing is that if your
> hardware does not need hardware flow control, these lines shouldn't
> matter at all. IOW, they should be left unconnected as the chip itself
> won't care either.
>
> However, if you tell the chip that you _do_ need hardware flow, it will
> not send out any data on TxD as long as CTS is not asserted.

I disagree with Dave's suggestion.  Both of you should keep in mind
that even when the DTR/RTS lines aren't needed for hardware flow
control, they might be needed for some other device-specific type of
signalling.  I guess it would be okay for the driver to raise them
automatically when hardware flow control is disabled and when the port
is first opened, but the driver certainly should _not_ force them on
all the time, under any circumstances.

Alan Stern