Re: [BUG] 2.6.31.2 io_ti

On 16 August 2010 18:16, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Chris Beauchamp wrote:
>
>> On 6 August 2010 19:51, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Chris Beauchamp wrote:
>>

>> I can do some more experimenting to narrow down when it starts
>> working, if you think its relevant
>
> You're missing the point.  If you can plug the device in and after that
> it works okay for the next 30 minutes, or 60 minutes, or 24 hours, or
> 30 days, or 12 months, or 10 years ... then what difference does it
> make?  Plug in the device once when you get it and it will work forever
> after.

The problem comes when you need to reboot - that's the equivalent to
it being plugged in for the first time, so that rules out remote
kernel upgrades etc. Might also simply forget to plug it in twice
before leaving the datacentre, though whether bad memory is any
responsibility of linux-usb remains as an exercise for the reader.

> These traces are very difficult to follow because they show multiple
> hubs with multiple devices attached to them.  Can you provide the
> equivalent information for a single device with no hubs?

Well, each box appears to be a couple of hubs and 8 dual serial port
adaptors. Tricky to separate without completely voiding the warranty
:) There is only one plugged in at a time. Is there a way to separate
in software - I guess I could go through and grep for each device and
separate into a file per device? Would that be helpful?

(note: I'm away on holiday/vacation for the next two weeks, so limited
to remote access to the servers until I get back)

Thanks

Chris