Re: USB card reader autosuspend

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Montag, 16. August 2010, 16:04:52 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > On Sun, 15 Aug 2010, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> >

> > > Yes, that is true. But where is the connection to open/close?
> >
> > When the device file is closed, the sd driver tells the device to
> > synchronize its cache.  While the file is open, we don't know whether
> > or not the cache has been written back.  While this may not matter for
> > flash drives, it does matter for other kinds -- and I wanted the
> > initial patch to work with a broad range of devices.
>
> Don't we sync cache in sd when suspend() is called?

Yes.

> > At the moment it appears that we have three possible criteria for when
> > to power-down a SCSI drive:
> >
> > 	When the device file is closed;
> >
> > 	When the device file is closed and no medium is present
>
> That is a degenerate case
>
> > 	(or maybe just when no medium is present);
>
> This is not.
>
> > 	After a user-specified idle timeout.
> >
> > The second is basically a degenerate subcase of the first, to be used
> > with things like card readers that report a media change whenever they
> > power back up.  Do you have any additional suggestions before I post
> > something on linux-scsi?
>
> My concern is that I doubt that cases 1 and 3 are distinct. Now as you can
> surely suspend an open device without medium provided you reawaken
> it for a command, I don't see the case for tracking open/close.

Open and close occur in process context whereas command handling
doesn't.  That means doing autoresume while handling a command will
require considerably more new code, more than I wanted to write for the
initial patch.  And the open/close scheme works okay for the case
people are most concerned about now: empty card readers.

Consider the types of devices we will be autosuspending:

	Rotating disk drives

	Solid-state drives / flash drives

	Buggy card readers

	Non-buggy things with removable media

It looks like the buggy card readers need the no-medium restriction but
nothing else does.  And it looks like the rotating drives are going to
require long inactivity timeouts (minutes) whereas the others will
require short timeouts (fractions of a second).

Does that seem like a reasonable summary?  You're right that the
open/close aspect may not be useful.  But let's check on linux-scsi
before making any changes.

Alan Stern