Re: Problem with STM8S Discovery kit

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010, Vaclav Peroutka wrote:

> > It should be possible.  Can you provide a usbmon trace showing what
> > happens when the device is plugged into a machine running Linux?
> > Instructions for usbmon are in Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.
> >

> Hello Alan,
>
> I plugged the kit for several seconds and then I unplugged it again. Attached are log messages and usbmon ouput. Hopefully it makes a sense. I run usbmon for the first time and I must say, that I am not so clever from the ouput, that I got...

The usbmon output explains the problem.  The kit tells the kernel that
it has removable media, but when the kernel sends a PREVENT-ALLOW
MEDIUM REMOVAL command, the device doesn't understand.  Even worse, the
kit gets so confused it can't _tell_ the kernel that it didn't
understand the command.  That's when the kernel decides to reset it.

With recent versions of the kernel (2.6.29 or later) you can work
around the problem by specifying a module parameter for usb-storage.
For example:

	modprobe usb-storage quirks=483:3744:l

That last character is the letter l, not the number 1; it tells
usb-storage the medium can't be locked so the kernel shouldn't send a
PREVENT-ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL command.  Equivalently, you can add a line
saying

	options usb-storage quirks=483:3744:l

to your /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf (or add the
"quirks=..." part to an existing options line for usb-storage).

Alan Stern