Re: Configuration selection when RNDIS Host not enabled

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/7/22 Adam Kropelin <akropel1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Windows would still choose the first configuration so all would be grand.
>>
>> Actually, Windows' enumeration of composite devices is quite broken
>> (ok, maybe "not ideal") and it will in fact only select a
>> configuration if a composite device has a single config.
>
> Just for the reference.
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2010/05/19/multi-config-usb-devices-and-windows.aspx
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff538059%28VS.85%29.aspx

Yes, exactly.

> From what I read, I think you are right. And it seems to me that it is not
> a very good idea to have a USB Composite device with multiple
> configurations. What is the use case for that?

I don't know. My device has only a single config into which it places
several interfaces grouped by IADs. I had expected Linux to simply
ignore the RNDIS interfaces if couldn't utilize them, but instead it
refuses to select the config at all, rendering the other interfaces
inaccessible. When I attempted to work around the issue by providing a
second fallback config to satisfy Linux, Windows broke due to the
issue outlined in that blog post. Catch 22.

--Adam