Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/2] usb: gadget: u_char: introduce chardev abstraction layer

Hi,

On 07/22/2010 02:04 PM, Roger Quadros wrote:
> We want to get g_mtp upstream, and the only thing blocking it was the
> u_char abstraction mechanism.
>
> I need to know how we can proceed with this. I can see the following
> options
>
> 1) remove, u_char.c and merge it into f_mtp.c so that people who need
> character abstraction can use the existing u_serial.c. bugs in TTY/line
> discipline should be fixed.
>
> 2) change u_char.c to provide packet abstraction. I don't know how this
> is done. Does this mean providing a socket interface?
>
> Please let me know if there is any other way we can proceed. Thanks.

another option is make use of the functionfs. Personally, I think
u_char.c is better approach since userland won't have to know about
functionfs-specific details, but on the other hand, using a network-like
interface would be great as it would be a lot easier to later implement
e.g. mtp-over-ip.

I guess it's just a trade-off of performance in this case. If we can
have a generic way to combine multiple ethernet transfers into one big
usb transfer (to play better with dma) and re-use skbuffs, that would be
great IMO and I'm all for using network-like (socket-like) interface.

--
balbi