Re: full data usb captures with usbmon?

Hi everyone,

I only caught this thread a couple of days ago, but have found it
pretty useful. For the last few months, I've been trying to get
wireless-usb hwa's and dwa's using the wisair chip to work in the
kernel, and have found vusb-analyzer + vmware is actually a bit easier
to use than wireshark + qemu for logging interpreting wireless usb
transactions in a windows vm.

What's pretty nice about vusb-analyzer vs. wireshark is that it's
really quite straight forward to add specific decoders to
vusb-analyzer in python, whereas for wireshark (+tcpdump) it seems a
bit more complicated. I'm currently putting together a decoder for the
various types of wireless usb requests, and would like to adjust the
UI to make it a treeview instead of requiring a double-click to open
packet details.

Has anyone else given the vmware + vusb-analyzer combination a try?
Thoughts? ... For the sake of free-ness, it would be nice to implement
a similar usb packet logger format for qemu.

The major advantage of having a virtual machine do the logging, is
that the number of data bytes is not limited by the usbmon's text
interface, and its a bit simpler than writing up a program from
scratch that uses the binary interface.

Cheers,

Chris