Re: Report ID problem with HID-RAW interface usage

On 06/30/2010 10:09 AM, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
Some of us in the libusb mailing list have this desire to
create a real cross-platform HID API (which libhid is
trying to do but without real success -- at least under
Windows since there is no real Windows port) on top
of libusb-1.0.

The new libusb-1.0 Windows backend can directly
use the native HID API. And I create a ticket to ask
for a native HID backend for Mac OS X and I believe
it can be done.
http://www.libusb.org/ticket/33

I am not so sure if it is necessary to create a native hidraw
backend for Linux or not. But the advantage of transport-independent
HID device seems to be a good one. I think Windows native HID API
also support non-USB device. Not so sure about Mac OS X though
since I do not use Mac and do not know Mac.

I've had the same ideas of creating a cross-platform HID api, and started a similar project. Maybe we could benefit from one another. What I've got so far is at:
    www.signal11.us/oss/hidapi

Of course, what's up there right now only supports Windows, and was originally intended to get around the fact that the HID headers and import lib aren't part of the Platform SDK, but part of the Driver Kit (It's all explained on the web page). I have a working backend for hidraw, which I need to get cleaned up and committed. Of course, the Hidraw backend depends on some of the queued changes which won't get in the mainline kernel until 2.6.36.

I have a Mac here and intend to make it work on OS X as well.

I did not realize that libusb-1.0 would talk to the native Windows HID backend. I don't see anything like that in the git version of libusb-1.0 or libusb-win32. Is this on another branch or something, or did I miss it?

Alan.