Re: usb-serial: autodetecting device

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:06:32AM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>> Well, no. CDC-ACM is clearly modeled on a modem. It has notions
>> like learning about loss of carrier and other stuff and encapsulated
>> commands to an external modem. It is not just a serial driver.
>>
>> If you have a device that uses none of the extended features of cdc-acm,
>> you are better of writing a minimal serial driver.
>
> True, but you could just ignore all the modem stuff, and send and
> receive data from the device, right?  That is probably what happens on
> Windows, as the device was made to work with the Microsoft-provided
> driver.

So it would be nice to have a common decision about it; if it works as
CDC ACM should it be let as it or we should add a generic driver for
it?

I think we could let it work _but_ find a way to export the
NOT_A_MODEM quirk somewhere. That would allow the system to handle it
differently.

What people think?

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.ossystems.com.br