Re: usb-serial: autodetecting device

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:51:32AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:42:25AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> >>  - the device is much near of a serial port then a modem (but doesn't
> >> appears as ttyUSBX);
> >
> > I don't understand, can you rephrase this?
>
> The device, when used in Windows looks like a serial port.

And, the device when used in Linux, looks like a serial port.  That is
what /dev/ttyACM0 is, a virtual serial port.  Just treat it like one and
you should be fine.  No need to dial or anything else, just open it and
start reading/writing data.

Have you tried that and it didn't work for some reason?

> >>  - how dynamically we can "detect" it is not a modem?
> >
> > Why not treat it like a virtual modem, that is how the hardware was
> > designed to be treated, right?
>
> It can't dial. Why treat it as a modem if in fact it is a USB to
> Serial adapter?

Because that is the USB spec for usb to serial devices :)

thanks,

greg k-h