Re: USB Mass Storage Driver Question

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:03:31PM -0700, S I wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to write a driver to copy some of the main memory contents to a
> USB Drive (either a USB Flash drive or USB Hard Disk Drive). This
> needs to be done for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. So, I don't want to
> use the respective kernel based APIs or framework.

Then just use the filesystem interface that all of those operating
systems provides to write to the device.

> I browsed through the EHCI spec (at Intel Site) and USB Mass Stroage
> specs (at USB.org site). EHCI spec talks about setting up an
> Asychronous Schedule for bulk transfers.

Woah, no, you can't talk directly to the ehci controller and not expect
to be writing a kernel driver.

At the worse case, just use libusb, that works on all of those operating
systems you referred to.

Again, just write to the filesystem from userspace, no kernel driver
needed at all.  Don't make it much harder than it really needs to be :)

good luck,

greg k-h