Re: "lsusb -vvv" returns "unrecognized" - why?

On Sun, 30 May 2010, Xiaofan Chen wrote:

> > According to include/linux/usb/ch9.h, descriptor type 0x21 is
> > USB_DT_WIRE_ADAPTER.  I guess that's from the Wireless USB spec, but I
> > don't know what it means.
> >
> > Anyway, it's not widely used at the moment so it's not surprising that
> > lsusb doesn't recognize it.
> >

> I think this has nothing to do with Wireless USB. I just
> tried it for a simple Logitech Mouse. And same thing happens.
> Then I tried PICKit 2, it has same problem. I think there is
> an issue with the lsusb descriptor parser for the HID device.

You're right; 0x21 is the identifier for HID descriptors.  It isn't
listed in the ch9.h header file, perhaps because it's a class-specific
descriptor type.  It is listed in include/linux/hid.h.

I can't imagine why lsusb has problems with it.  Obviously this should
be fixed.

Alan Stern