Re: Remote wakeup from standby

On Sun, 16 May 2010, Terence wrote:

> I'm having a related problem. For a home theater PC, I have a gyration remote
> (which registers as a USB mouse & keyboard). It supports remote wakeup, but I'm
> having trouble getting it working reliably with S3.
>
> I first verify that S3 works fine. remote wakeup isn't enabled by default, so I
> suspend to S3, then manually wakeup the system by pressing the power button
> (this is on an Acer Aspire Revo 1600). Everything works fine, the system goes
> into suspend as expected and wakes up when the power button is pressed.
>
> I then fresh reboot and enable remote wakeup via "echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup"
> && "echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup", then "cat /proc/acpi/wakeup" to verify the
> settings took. I've also verified various USB devices under
> /sys/bus/usb/devices/ have wakeup enabled.

The USB wakeup settings are controlled by
/sys/bus/usb/devices/.../power/wakeup, not by entries in
/proc/acpi/wakeup.

> I then suspend to S3, which works fine, and then press a button on the remote
> and the system wakes up fine. But after that first cycle, any subsequent attempt
> to suspend will suspend and automatically resume.
>

> hmm, I originally thought this was related to the gyration remote control, but I
> tried rerunning some experiments to provide accurate data and it now appears any
> USB device plugged in results in automatic wakeup if I try to suspend. In
> contrast, I can suspend just fine if I unplug all USB devices. I had also seen
> the "S3 works only on first try" previously, but I'm unable to reproduce that
> right now, the system always wakes up immediately.
>
> I was previously suspicious that whatever triggered the wakeup was not being
> cleared. That would allow the first S3 cycle to work fine, but then wakeup was
> continually asserted and would keep another S3 cycle from working. I realize my
> data seems a little sketchy in my retests. I'm not sure if I've changed
> something or just missing a step in my previous reproductions.
>
> In any case, is there a way to identify what triggered a wakeup?

It might show up in a "lspci -vv" listing.  But in general, no -- AFAIK
the kernel doesn't have any debugging output to identify the source of
a wakeup.

If your kernel build ehci-hcd, uhci-hcd, and ohci-hcd as modules, you
could try removing each one of them before suspending to see if it
makes any difference.

Alan Stern