Re: Anyone here with experience in ISP1504 (OTG Phy) and USB High Speed Host

Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> > we are facing a problem with an EHCI host controller (the one in the
> > i.MX27 SoC CPU) and an externally connected ISP1504 phy (connected via
> > ULPI). Connected to this bus is a USB-DVB device. All these devices are
> > connected on the PCB. The OTG feature of the ISP1504 is not used.
> >
> > The EHCI driver comes up, enables the bus and does the enumeration. The
> > corresponding USB device driver is loaded and tries to initialize its
> > device. At this point, most of the time it fails with various timeouts.
> >
> > We cut the connection (thanks to two 0 ohm resistors in the D+/D- lines)
> > to the USB-DVB device and tried various other devices: All kind of
> > devices are failing most of the time. All connections are approved as
> > correct.
> >
> > In the next step we inserted our USB scanner into the USB lines to the
> > DVB device. What we see is:
> >   - RESET and high speed detection handshake
> >   - some data transfers
> >   - a second RESET and a second high speed detection handshake
> >   - some data transfers
> >   - ...and the beginning of a third high speed detection handshake, but
> >     without a previous RESET and without an answer, so the handshake
> > times out.
> >   - no further communication is possible (the line seems dead).
> > (note: Same behavior on the bus with the other kind of external devices).
> >
> > Any idea why the third high speed detection handshake starts? There is no
> > RESET and no IDLE state prior its occurrence. Software or hardware issue?
>
> For more information on the software side, use a kernel with
> CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled and look at the dmesg log.

For the records: Issue seems solved. In this case the flag
USB_OTG_EXT_VBUS_INDICATOR was missed when configuring the ULPI from the
platform file. Now, the USB communication comes always up after reset and
works reliable.

Regards,
Juergen