Re: Remote wakeup from standby

On Tue, 11 May 2010, Rob Duncan wrote:

> My device is happily going into selective suspend and can be resumed by
> either the runtime PM APIs or by generating its own remote wakeup
> signal.  However, it isn't able to resume from a system suspend.
>
> I put my machine into suspend with:
>
> # echo standby >/sys/power/state
>
> wait a few seconds, press my remote-wakeup button on the device, but
> nothing happens.  The board has power because my LEDs stay lit.  When I
> resume the system by pressing the power button on the machine itself
> everything comes back up as normal.
>
> I put a sniffer on the bus and I see the host issue a CLEAR-FEATURE for
> remote wakeup right before the suspend happens.

That should not happen.  If your device is enabled for remote wakeup
then the host will send Set-Feature for remote wakeup right before
suspending (and will clear it right after resuming), but if it isn't
then the host won't send anything of the sort.  See usb_port_suspend()
and finish_port_resume() in drivers/usb/core/hub.c.

> Is there some other configuration I need to set before this will work?

Make sure the /sys/bus/usb/devices/.../power/wakeup file contains
"enabled".  (You may also want to check the power/wakeup setting for
the root hub device and for the root hub's parent controller.)

Alan Stern