Re: USB gadget with drivers "on board"

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:49:43AM +0530, Viral Mehta wrote:
> Hi,

Why not?  How can you know?  What if the device is plugged into a server
that is accessed over samba to a Windows machine?

> Or even I should not confuse a user by giving 3 choices.

If you handle your "autorun" files correctly, they will not be confused.

And again, Linux doesn't need drivers on the device, that's not how
Linux operates.

> Instead best user experience
> Will be if I can auto install those softwares by *detecting* OS on USB host.

As Alan said, it is almost impossible to do that.

> Here is one more option that I am thinking of, but have not tested yet,
> 1. create 3 partitions on flash.
> 2. Burn first partition with Windows related software and use filesystem as CDFS
> 3. Burn second partition with MAC related software and use filesystem as HFS
> 4. Burn third partition with Linux related software and use filesystem as ext2
>
> Now, when device is connected to USB host, set autoloading of the module on device something like,
> insmod g_file_storage.ko file=/dev/<second partition>
> (or e.g., insmod g_file_storage.ko file=/dev/block/mtdblock2>
>
> now, assume that user is connecting this device to Windows, in that case Windows will report an error
> saying that ohhh I don?t understand the filesystem on the device. (Note that I am trying with second partition
> which has HFS filesystem on it.)

I have used Windows machines that support ext2 and HFS.

> And if device can get, somehow, this error then it will try

The device can not get that error, in a way that does not require you to
write a windows driver that is currently installed and running, sorry.

And again, what about Windows machines that support HFS.  Due to the
ipod, it is becoming quite common.

good luck,

greg k-h