RE: USB gadget with drivers "on board"

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Viral Mehta wrote:

> I want to store drivers/software for Windows
> as well as Linux BUT on different partitions and "on board".

Why on different partitions?  Doesn't that just make your life harder?
What's wrong with putting everything into multiple top-level
directories on the same partition?

> Now, when I connect my device to Windows, *partition-1* will be mounted
> automatically and will install the driver/software from that partition.
> And similarly if I connect to Linux, it will mount *partition-2*
> and will install driver/software from that partition.

You mean: you _want_ it to mount partition-2, not it _will_ mount
partition-2.  IIUC, the problem is that currently it does _not_ mount
partition-2.

> To accomplish this, my device will need to know which USB host it is being connected to.
> And as in USB everything is host centric,
> I am not able to identify how my device can know about which Operating System USB host is running.

There is no reliable way to do this.

> I thought something on getting this information from USB enumeration Pattern. But this method is patented,
> http://www.wikipatents.com/US-Patent-7574534/method-for-using-device-enumeration-information-to-identify-an

Even if you can track the commands sent during device enumeration or
initialization, what will you do if a later version of Windows decides
to use a different sequence of commands?

No, you're much better off making everything the same -- all files
available on all systems.  Besides, what if somebody wants to copy the
Windows drivers and files from your device, but has only a Linux
computer available to do the copying?

Alan Stern