Re: System hangs when using USB 3.0 HD with on Ubuntu

I'm guessing Doug is out today because he didn't forward the note
below.  Just passing the info along...

>> It is needed by the transport protocol(s).

Alan> I don't understand; can you explain more fully?  Which transport
Alan> protocol(s) need to use the Sector Count?  The USB transport
Alan> protocol doesn't; it encodes the transfer length in a wrapper.
Alan> The bridge chip should interpret the wrapper instead of looking
Alan> inside the SAT command.

Doug posted to the T10 list and here's what Jim Hatfield from Seagate
responded:

     For ATA (SATA or PATA), the Count field should NEVER be zero,
     because neither interface supports zero-length data transfer for
     any protocol (dma, pio, etc).

     In ATA, 'N/A' is defined the way it is because there are some
     ancient implementations for which there are vendor specific
     differences.