Re: FTDI problems when using USB_SERIAL_CONSOLE

On 04/07/2010 02:32 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, Anders Darander wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've got some problems using an FTDI-based USB-RS232-adapter for the
>> system console.
>> If I'm adding a VGA console, I get flooded by "ftdi_sio: ftdi_write -
>> failed submitting write urb, error -108"-messages upon poweroff. (And
>> it hangs in such a loop, as each printk generates a new printk).
>>
>> I've found the following thread,
>> http://www.kerneltrap.com/mailarchive/linux-usb/2008/12/8/4342894/thread,
>> from 2008, which describes the same problem.
>>
>> However, I've not been able to find a patch for this.
>> Did someone find a solution? Or should I try to make my own workaround...
>> I'm running a 2.6.32.13-kernel on an Intel atom-based platform.
>>

> You should also ask Jason Wessel (CC'ed).  He has spent a lot of time
> working on usb-serial console support.
>
> (Although in this case, it looks like the problem has an easy fix.)

What kind of easy fix did you have in mind Alan?

Previously I shuffled around the error messages to avoid this problem
with one of the drivers, but that is definitely not the right fix, as it
only fixes a single driver.  I have not looked at this code in a while,
but I believe the right fix is to look for the connected condition in
the usb serial console high level console code, as well as to simply
have a recursion check.

Certainly, there are several ways the problem could be addressed.

Jason.