Re: System hangs when using USB 3.0 HD with on Ubuntu

On 02/04/10 11:59 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 19:50 +0400, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
..
    IDENTIFY DEVICE command has *no* parameters.

Alan was talking about ATA_16, which has to contain payload data in SCSI
format for the encapsulation to work, so for a command that returns 512b
the ATA_16 has to contain this as the data length.

Sounds like a Mark Lord problem to me ... cc added.
..

Errr.. yes and no.

Yes, because nobody else is likely to do anything about it,
so I will work around the hardware bug by updating hdparm.

But no, there's no funky missing data length issue there.
Just a bridge chip that doesn't understand ATA_16 commands.

Apparently it *does* understand ATA_12 commands, though,
so perhaps hdparm will simply use ATA_12 for IDENTIFY from now on.

Cheers