Re: System hangs when using USB 3.0 HD with on Ubuntu

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 19:50 +0400, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:

> >> It does.  And in between the two is an ATA_16 SET FEATURES command
> >> which also (apparently) succeeds.  That is, there is no error
> >> indication from the device -- but goodness knows if it actually carries
> >> out the command.
> >>

> > Incidentally, there's a discussion of this problem with input from an
> > engineer at the company that makes the bridge chip here:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-fsl-imx51/+bug/431963
> >
> > See comment #25 and later.  He claims that the ATA pass-through command
> > contains a SECTOR COUNT field of 0 even though it asks for 512 bytes of
> > IDENTIFY data.  This invalid parameter combination causes the bridge
> > chip to get confused, and instead of failing gracefully, it messes up
> > the USB protocol.
> >

>    IDENTIFY DEVICE command always returns 512 bytes of data, regardless
> of any value in the sector count register.
>
> > Does anybody know where to find out why hdparm is sending an IDENTIFY
> > command with invalid parameters?
> >

>    IDENTIFY DEVICE command has *no* parameters.

Alan was talking about ATA_16, which has to contain payload data in SCSI
format for the encapsulation to work, so for a command that returns 512b
the ATA_16 has to contain this as the data length.

Sounds like a Mark Lord problem to me ... cc added.

James