urb->sg and struct usb_sg_request

David:

When native scatter-gather support was added to the USB host controller
drivers, the urb->sg field was defined to be a pointer to struct
usb_sg_request.

But as far as I can tell, it never gets used other than to access the
underlying scatterlist structures.  That is, every use of "urb->sg" is
as a subexpression in "urb->sg->sg" (except for a few tests for NULL,
which don't matter for this purpose).

If the sg field were defined instead to be a pointer to struct
scatterlist then we could avoid a bunch of extra dereferences and make
the code cleaner.  Is there any reason not to do this?

Alan Stern