Re: [2.6.34-rc1] Problem using USB 1.1 device on USB 3.0 xhci host controller

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 05:43:45PM +0100, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> Hi Sarah,
>
> I'm trying to use an USB 1.1 device on a USB 3.0 host controller, but it doesn't seem to work (tested with kernel versions up to 2.6.34-rc1):
> - with lsusb I can only see a usb 3.0 root hub (with a USB 2.0 host controller, i'am always seeing the roothubs for lower speeds as well, so maybe this is the problem ?)
> - with lsusb I can see the usb 1.1 device connected to the USB 3.0 root hub.
> - the driver from the usb 1.1 device get loaded, but it gives errors, and (it's a webcam) doesn't give video.
> - the manufacturer claims it should be backwards compatible hardware.
>
> - Should this work with the current (expirimental) state of the xhci-hcd driver in linux ?
>
> The hardware is (asus U3S6):
> 03:00.0 USB Controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation Device [1033:0194] (rev 03) (prog-if 30)
>         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8413]

>From the log files, it looks like your usb 1.1 device is a webcam; is
that correct?

> [    5.097306] pwc: Philips webcam module version 10.0.13 loaded.
> [    5.097507] pwc: Supports Philips PCA645/646, PCVC675/680/690, PCVC720[40]/730/740/750 & PCVC830/840.
> [    5.097859] pwc: Also supports the Askey VC010, various Logitech Quickcams, Samsung MPC-C10 and MPC-C30,
> [    5.098215] pwc: the Creative WebCam 5 & Pro Ex, SOTEC Afina Eye and Visionite VCS-UC300 and VCS-UM100.
> [    5.098557] pwc: Trace options: 0x0001
> [    5.098576] Philips webcam 9-3:1.0: usb_probe_interface
> [    5.098578] Philips webcam 9-3:1.0: usb_probe_interface - got id
> [   13.116489] pwc: isoc_init() submit_urb 0 failed with error -22

Webcams have isochronous endpoints, and the xHCI driver doesn't support
isochronous transfers yet.  There are patches to add isochronous
support, but they're still under going review.  They missed the 2.6.34
merge window, so I'm not sure if they'll make it into 2.6.34 or 2.6.35.
If you want to try them out, the latest versions of the patches are
here:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=126838645617885&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=126838648717923&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=126838649217932&w=2