Re: Your SL11R-IDE unusual_devs entry

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 06:23:19PM +0100, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> On 02/28/2010 06:18 PM, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> > Peter,
> >
> > I'm writing because there's currently an entry in the Linux kernel's
> > usb-storage driver 'unusual devices' list reported by you for a SL11R-IDE
> > device.
> >
> > We now believe this entry is no longer needed, but we'd like you to test
> > this patch before we apply it. Can you take a moment and test this with the
> > device you originally had problems with?
>
> Ah, crap. The email bounced.
>
> Matt/Alan - what do you two think? It seems unlikely this is needed, and
> would be nice to get out of there if it isn't. But I don't have a good way
> to test that theory other than yank it out and see what happens.

Tough call.

How long ago was the original entry added?  If it was very long ago, I
would be inclined to think that some of the newer fixes would make it
unneeded.  If it's more recent, then maybe we should leave it.

That said, if we yank the entry and look for the regression, it's not
really a tragedy for anyone who uses this device.  We could just tell them
to add the entry back in.  It's only one type of device that is affected.

I would yank it, and be prepared for possible regression reports.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

C:  Why are you upgrading to NT?
AJ: It must be the sick, sadistic streak that runs through me.
					-- Chief and A.J.
User Friendly, 5/12/1998