Re: How to detect overcurrent event from userland

Hi Oliver,

Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Freitag, 26. Februar 2010 10:44:08 schrieb Juergen Beisert:
> > > But what events will you want to report?  Lots of things can happen to
> > > a hub besides overcurrents.
> >
> > I think there are some interesting states a user can only discover by
> > taking a look into the kernel logs. There is no additional help possible,
> > because also applications can't detect these states:
> >
> > - something is plugged into a port (= in use)
> > - enumeration of the plugged device failed
> > - overcurrent detected
> > - orphaned device plugged in (no driver found)
>
> We already export driver binding. The kernel really doesn't know about
> the final result of the binding process. Only udev knows what happened
> to a hotplug event.

Hmmm, sure. So, 'udev' can handle the "no driver found" issue.
But the other cases, where a USB device is present but cannot be used? I tried
with a 'change' UEVENT for the 'overcurrent' case and an additional
environment variable (like 'POWERFAIL=1'). It seems easy to add a filter for
such events (I tried with libudev) to any application. But I'm not sure if
the UEVENT feature was intended also for something like error handling.

Juergen